What is Oil Pulling?
Oil pulling is the act of swishing oil in your mouth, in order to extract bacteria and toxins, as a way to cleanse the mouth.
How does it work?
As we've said before, our RAW Coconut Oil has antibacterial properties and helps fight inflammation. There are two anti-viral properties called lauric acid and caprylic acid (that are part of the RAW Coconut Oil make up) which will combat bacteria when it comes in contact.
BUT! The impact comes in with the "pulling" ..aka literally swishing the oil in your mouth.
First, it will be helpful to know that the micro-organisms in your mouth are lipids (fatty acid compounds). So when these lipids (such as a bacteria) meet another oily component, they will cling or attach to it. Just imagine the act of swishing.. you're physically pushing an antbacterial oil directly to an area where fatty bacteria cells and toxins live, which it'll inevitably latch to, and then be pulled out of your gums and tongue!
Important note on oil pulling... NEVER SWALLOW! You will swallow all of those toxins and send them straight back to your gut.
What benefits can you expect from Oil Pulling?
- Removes bacteria & toxins of mouth
- Helps prevent cavities and gingivitis
- Whitens teeth
- Removes bad breath
- Helps heal bleeding gums
- Helps detoxify the body
- Supports normal kidney function
- Boosts immune system
- Helps fight inflammation
In general, eliminating the amount of bacteria in your body (even if its just in your mouth) means you're starving bacteria to manifest in areas like your face (i.e. acne) or in your gut (i.e. digestive issues). Overall, this one routine can strengthen your immune system.
It's so easy! Ready?
- Actively swish 1 tablespoon of our RAW Coconut Oil in your mouth for 10-20 minutes
- Expect your jaw to get a little tired from this. We recommend doing something during this time to keep your mind off of it.
- Once finished, spit the coconut oil in the trash! (It will solidify and clog the drain in your sink)
- Rinse your mouth with water or salt water and then end by brushing your teeth!
Tip! We recommend using our RAW Coconut Oil during oil pulling for a fresh, pure taste! The taste of our oil is far better than other jars at the supermarket because we are RAW - we never heat it or refine it so it retains its original flavor. If you wish to add an essential oil to the mix, only use a few drops of peppermint or oregano (or other sources say that thieves is great when you're feeling sick)