Dietary fats are essential to give your body energy, support cell growth, protect organs, (stay warm!) and to help absorb certain nutrients. If you’re a woman, you’ve probably heard that fat also helps produce necessary hormones and keeps us regular!
“There is a liquid layer that surrounds every cell that is made up of fat. That layer can only absorb nutrients if there is a healthy amount of fat in our diet. Nutrients and fiber that come from vegetables would just float around in our bodies if we didn’t also have fat to link to these cells.” - Dr. Eden
Our western culture is still recovering from what has been called the “saturated fat myth.” This myth led people to believe that all forms of saturated fat were evil. Sadly, as a result, the western diet was and still is lacking in healthy forms of medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs). These MCFAs are a unique form of saturated fatty acid that have a variety of medicinal properties.
For example, the make up of our raw coconut oil is over 65% MCFAs - now commonly referred to as MCTs (medium chain triglycerides) - which include a powerhouse combo of lauric acid, caprylic acid and capric acid. These MCTs are proven to convert fat into energy. This gives your body and brain a quick boost while also supporting memory, metabolism, immunity and actually accelerating fat burning. Lauric acid itself is especially important in this fatty acid make up because it has healing properties that fight bacteria and decrease inflammation.
Did you hear that right? Fat burns fat!
Yes, these healthy fats convert into highly efficient energy molecules called ketones. This is an alternative energy source for our body - instead of using quick carbohydrates, it actually uses its own fat storage. Fat burning fat!
This is the basis for the famous Keto (ketogenic) Diet and how a higher healthy fat diet can support weight loss.
Morning Coffee // Do you like it hot or cold? Delicious both ways!
BENEFITS: If you find yourself crashing or getting the shakes after coffee, it’s probably because you don’t have enough FAT in your coffee. It may come as a surprise, but healthy fat will help your body digest and metabolize your morning jo. As a result, your body can use the caffeine more efficiently (think of a long distance run verses a sprint!) and provide support to your digestive & nervous system (no more jitters!)
- 1 tbsp of our RAW Virgin Coconut Oil
- Blend or froth coconut oil with your coffee so the fat will emulsify and give you a creamy, smooth consistency with a frothy top! **Stirring coconut oil works in a pinch, but will lack the creamy texture.
- Optional add ins: dairy free milk, cinnamon, collagen protein
Protein Smoothie // Elevate your workouts this year with this smoothie
BENEFITS: Whenever you’re consuming 12+ grams of protein, you need an element of healthy fat and fiber to digest properly. If your protein shake doesn’t include at least 1 tbsp of fat, it can be very rough on your digestive system, and nutrient absorption will be minimal or non existent. So let’s optimize all of those benefits that protein powder can do for us and our fitness goals!
- 2 scoops of your preferred protein powder **Best if it is good quality and has less than 7 grams of sugar
- 1 tbsp of a “healthy fat” like our RAW Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1/2 tbsp of a fiber soluble (ie ground flaxseed) and/or 1 cup of spinach
**to make a thick smoothie and create that “ice cream” like texture, try using frozen vegetables (ie spinach, peeled zucchini, steamed cauliflower). Blending them create a creamy texture and don’t taste like vegetables!
- 1/4 cup your favorite fruit
- Blend all ingredients above with the following: 1/2 cup of nut milk, rice milk, coconut water, or filtered water
Cook a Curry // Warm, comforting, everything you could ever want
BENEFITS: Curries are amazing ways to get the perfect, well balanced meal. You can through in everything from protein, to vegetables, to carbs, and the icing on the top… tons of delicious healthy fats! Most curries are made with a coconut milk base and paired with vegetables/protein sautéed in coconut oil.
- Here is one of our favorites: Thai Green Curry
Sweet Chili Roasted Pumpkin Seeds // They’re just too dang good!
BENEFITS: Nuts are a great source of fiber and fat! With this recipe in your back pocket, you can whip up amazing roasted nuts in 5 min and jazz up any soup or salad (especially whenever you’re needing a little extra fat in your day!)
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds (or any other nut or choice)
- 1 tsp of coconut oil, chili powder, & maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Combine all ingredients together in a small bowl and toss to coat evenly. Add Pumpkin seeds to a baking sheet in an even layer. Roast on 275 F for 35-40 min (or until seeds are puffed and slightly darkened)
Coconut Rice // creamy, without the dairy!
BENEFITS: Just a few things! No dairy, half the calories, better than butter, yet sooo creamy!
- The ratio will vary depending on what rice you are cooking, but simply replace the butter/oil option on the rice package with RAW Virgin Coconut Oil. If the ratio is not listed, a use 1 Tbsp coconut oil for every 1 cup of dry rice.
- Or to make it even creamier, replace the water with coconut milk! So good :)
Avocado Egg Boats - by Wholesome Yum
Crunchy Crispy Chicken Tenders - by Laura Lee Balanced
Dahl with Crispy Sweet Potato and Coconut Flakes - by Anna Jones
Sign up for stories and specials
Receive 25% off your first order! Plus fantastic recipes, wellness & beauty tips, and impactful stories.