As the great musician and serenading king once said, “It’s the most wonderful time of the year! It’s the happiest season of all!”
It sure is when every aisle of the grocer store is filled with CHOCOLATE, PEPPERMINT, and GINERBREAD.
Let us help you embrace these traditions in a new way this Christmas.
-1 box chocolate cake mix
-1/2 cup coconut sugar
-5 tbsp butter or ghee
-1 tub chocolate frosting
-1 bag dark chocolate chips
-2 tbsp coconut oil
-5 drops peppermint essential oil (or peppermint extract)
1. Bake the chocolate cake. I started off making the brownie recipe in the box and kind of switched to cake half way through, so I ended up using 5 tbsp butter, 1/2 cup coconut sugar, 3 eggs, and 1/4 cup water, baked at 375 for 25 minutes. They turned out perfectly!
2. Let the brownies/cake cool completely, then break into chunks and transfer to the bowl of a mixer. Add about half of the tub of frosting and the peppermint essential oil (or sub peppermint extract to taste). Mix until a thick “dough” forms, adding more frosting if needed.
3. Roll into balls (I used a 1 oz cookie scoop), place on parchment, and refrigerate.
4. Melt the chocolate with the coconut oil in a double boiler (or over low heat), stirring constantly.
5. Dip each ball into the chocolate to coat completely, allow excess chocolate to drip off, then place back on the parchment. Top with crushed peppermint.
6. Refrigerate to allow the chocolate to solidify, and store in the fridge.
*NOTE: There’s a ton of opportunity for flexibility here; you can cut down the sugar, use a different base mix, use cream cheese instead of frosting, mix up the flavorings, add in a spice, the sky is the limit.
Sign up for stories and specials
Receive 25% off your first order! Plus fantastic recipes, wellness & beauty tips, and impactful stories.