Have you ever gone to a friend’s house while on a special diet? It’s scary. I had to be on a special diet for years for my migraines. If the hassle of checking labels, saying “no” to my favorite foods and making separate meals was not enough, I was nervous to go to a friend’s house when food was involved. Should I pretend to eat? Should I eat ahead of time? Should I ask about the ingredients? If I did ask about the ingredients or they found out I was on a diet, the conversation made me cringe.
Avoid bad feelings this week and serve allergy-friendly Halloween treats. They are dairy-free, nut-free, egg-free, wheat-free, gluten-free, vegan and delicious!
Traditional Rice Krispy treats use butter as a main ingredient, but substituting it with raw coconut oil makes a big difference! Besides the fact that it’s delicious, Raw coconut oil has so many good benefits. It strengthens the immune system because of the lauric and caprylic acid in the coconut oil, and it regulates metabolism because it is processed more easily by the body as MCT oil (medium-chain triglycerides).
Here’s the complete recipe!
- 5 tablespoons raw coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 cups mini marshmallows
- 8-12 drops of food coloring of your choice
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 4.25 ounces icing (dairy-free)
- Candy eyes (optional)
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with raw coconut oil.
- Melt the raw coconut oil in a large pot on the stovetop.
- Once fully melted, stir the vanilla extract and salt into the coconut oil.
- Add the mini marshmallows to the melted coconut oil mixture, stirring until the marshmallows have fully melted.*
- Then add the food coloring of your choice until you have the color of the character you have in mind (i.e. yellow for spongebob & green for frankenstein)
- Remove the mixture from the heat, and quickly stir in the Rice Krispies cereal.
- Spread the Rice Krispies mixture into the greased baking dish and let them cool.
- Cut the entire pan of treats into the shape you desire.
- Using the tip* that comes with or goes on your icing, design the treats into your preferred character. You can add hair, clothes, and more. Let your imagination flow!
- Add candy eyes, if you’d like, setting them in place with a tiny bit of icing on the back.
You are sure to get some big smiles from this fun twist on a classic favorite!
Bet & the Dignity Team
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.